Apam Balik Delicious Recipes

There are so many names out there for this kueh. Some call it Ban Chien Kueh, some call it 'Tai Gau-Meen' but we called it 'Chin Loong Pau'. This will be the kueh that I asked my sisters to bring me each time they come for a visit. There are two version of it. One thin and cripsy and the other one is thick and spongy. I remember buying this kueh every week at our Subang Jaya SS15 pasar malam and we will usually order it first before we walk around the pasar malam and come back to pick it up when we are done. There is always a very long line for this kueh.

The filling is usually peanuts and sugar with a tiny dollop of butter but some might put sweet corn and coconut. Actually you can put any sweet fillings like red beans, sweet coconut, nutella, chocolate, kaya to your apam balik. I read somewhere that people even put cream cheese and minced meat to their Apam Balik. I wouldn't go that far :). I like mine the old fashion way. Nuts and sugar.

Ingredients for batter
(adapted from Kuali.com)

200 grms of flour
2 tsp of baking powder
3/4 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
50 grms of sugar
160 ml water
160 ml milk
1 egg
40 grms melted butter
1 1/8 tsp alkaline water (optional)


Filling
1 cups of toasted peanuts - grind coarsely
1/2 cup of sugar
some butter

1) In a large bowl add in all ingredients for batter. Mix ingredients well into smooth batter. Set aside in the fridge for 2 hours.
2) Heat up a non-stick pan and very lightly grease it with a bit of oil. Clean off any access oil with a paper towel.
3) Pour a ladle full of batter into the pan and swirl the pan is full cover with batter. Put more batter if you want a thicker pancake.
4) Sprinkle some peanuts, sugar and a few dollop of butter then put a cover over it.
5) Cook until the centre of the pancake is cooked and the edges brown.
6) Remove and fold into half.
7) Serve.


Note : I didn't put any alkaline water to my batter since I don't have it. I like my apam balik crispy so I cook it over medium heat and I don't even need to cover the pan when I cook it.

No comments :

Post a Comment