Carnation ball tutorial - Dairy Foods


This post is all about how to create your own carnation ball.  I am no expert by any means.  I have made one carnation ball in my life and it's this one right here.  I was happy with the way it turned out and it made for an awesome centerpiece.   

Materials you'll need:
  • a 4 ½ floral foam sphere (can be found online at Save On Crafts and I'm sure a bunch of other sites)
    • Use the netted floral foam sphere if you'd like to tie a ribbon to the ball to hang
    • Floral foam spheres come in all sizes depending on how large/small you want the ball to be
  • about 50 carnations (more or less depending on how tightly you place the carnations)
Step 1: Soak/saturate the floral foam sphere in water, this will keep the flowers at their freshest

I originally thought I was going to hang the carnation ball (which is why I had the netting) but decided to display it by placing on top of a cake platter instead. 
 
Step 2:  Cut the carnations about an inch below the stem


 Step 3: Spread the petals of each carnation so it is at its fullest (the photo below is before doing this)


 and after...

Step 4: Insert each carnation into the floral foam sphere, beginning in a straight line and then filling in until there are no gaps (you can leave the bottom open since it will be placed on top of a platter)




And here it is as a centerpiece at the Breakfast at Tiffany's bridal shower I hosted.



You don't have to stop at carnations, you can use many different types of flowers, I think China Mums would look great.

Good luck!

No comments :

Post a Comment