Baked Ginger Milk Custard Recipes

When I saw the Ginger Milk Curd at Wendy’s blog I knew I just have to try it out. The 1st attempt I fail miserably. The milk didn’t curd at all. I thought I did something wrong as I didn’t use the thermometer to check the temperature of the milk. I decided to try it again right away. This time with the thermometer in hand and making sure the temperature of the milk is just right before pouring it into the ginger juice. The milk did form a light curd on top and that was it. The bottom was till very watery. I am not sure what I did wrong and I have to do more research on this before trying out again. It might have something to do with the milk. So what am I going to do with all the ginger milk?



Knowing me I won’t throw it away. So I decided to make something else out of it. It is either crème brulee or baked custard. As for crème brulee it needs a lot of heavy cream and egg yolks. So I decided to do the lighter version of custard. With one failure I create another wonderful dessert. This custard has a light ginger flavor and it compliments really well with our 4th of July BBQ.

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups milk
½ cup heavy cream
3-4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp ginger juice
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs
2 egg yolks

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Adjust oven rack to center position. Lightly butter 6 small ramekins. I used two large and 2 small ones
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk and heavy cream to a slow simmer. Remove from heat and set it aside for 5 minutes. Boil some hot water.
3. In a bowl, combine egg, sugar, ginger juice, and salt; beat until sugar is dissolved. Mix in hot milk mixture, a little at a time, until well mixed.
4. Pour the custard into the ramekins. Put the ramekins into a larger baking pan. Carefully pour hot water into the baking pan to come half-way up the sides of the custard ramekins.
5. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until set around the edges and the center jiggle a little when shaken. Remove from oven and immediately remove the ramekins from the water bath. Let it cool completely on a cooling rack before serving.


Note: The cooking time will depend largely on the size of the custard cups but begin checking on it at 20 minutes and check back regularly.

No comments :

Post a Comment