Cheddar-herb bread - Dairy Foods

What better way to spend a cold, icy Sunday then inside the warmth of your kitchen baking bread? I found this recipe while perusing the web for ideas for the handmade gift post I wrote last Friday. As soon as I found it I knew what would be baking in my oven over the weekend. 

This recipe is very easy and the bread comes out moist, savory, rustic.  You can smell the dried herbs as they bake into the bread.  I ate the bread with a simple salad with champagne vinaigrett and a poached egg.  Maybe I shouldn't admit it but this was my first time ever poaching an egg.  It turned out perfectly.

Cheddar-herb bread (recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens)

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. dried cilantro or parsley
1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter (cold)
1 egg
1/2 cup shredded cheddar

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan. Mix the first six ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl.

With a pastry blender (I just use my hands), cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheddar cheese. In a bowl combine 3/4 cup milk and 1 egg, slightly beaten. Add to crumb mixture all at once. Stir quickly with a fork to moisten. Spread in prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaf out onto wire rack; cool completely. Makes 12 servings.





This was such an amazing breakfast and so simple.  I would eat it everyday.  I'd love to hear of any cooking adventures you had over the weekend, please comment and share!

Happy Monday!

No comments :

Post a Comment