Chicken Varuval Delicious Recipes

My old office used to be at Brickfields and for lunch my colleagues and I like to go for Indian food. As you all know there are plenty of good Indian restaurants at Brickfields. One of our favorite place to eat is the corner kopitiam near the river bank. I forgot the name of the Kopitiam. We really like the banana leaf rice there. In my opinion they served the best Indian food. One of our must order dish is their Chicken Varuval and fried fish. Their Chicken Varuval is dry, almost paste like gravy and extremely spicy. I tried cooking this dish here and I got this recipe my ex-colleague and is the simpler way of cooking Chicken Varuval

Ingredients :

1/2 chicken - cut into small bite size pieces
1 pcs of cinnamon stick
2 cardamoms
1 pcs of star anise
1 tbsp of black soy sauce
10 curry leaves
1/2 cup of water (optional)
Sugar, salt and pepper to taste

Blended ingredients :

2 medium size onions
5 cloves of garlic
2" of ginger

To make into paste

2 tbsp of curry powder
2 tsp of chili powder
2 tsp of tumeric powder

1) Heat up oil and add in cinnamom stick, cardamons, star anise and curry leaves. Stir fry for a few second until frangrant.
2) Add in the blended ingredients and sautee until it turn light brown.
3) Add in the curry paste and stir fry for a minute.
4) Add in the chicken and stir fry until chicken well coated with the paste. Add seasoning.
5) Add in black soy sauce and a bit of water if chicken get too dry. Cover and simmer slowly until chicken is really dry and done.
6) Check seasoning and serve warm.

Note : I didn't add any water because the chicken I used discharged lots of liquid. You can reduce the amount of chili powder if you want it less spicy.

No comments :

Post a Comment