A little piece of summer - Dairy Foods

Doesn't Caprese salad just remind you of a summer day? The red ripe tomatoes, fresh, fragrant basil and soft, cold mozzarella with a touch of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper....it is definitely on my list of favorite dishes.

Though it's a bit chilly in MN today I thought I'd post this lovely Caprese salad I made yesterday for a potluck with my coworkers. The tomatoes are beefsteak from an Amish community in Wassau, WI. They were the most beautiful, ripe red tomatoes I have ever seen (the stand is located on Nicollet and 8th). These two young guys drive to the cities every Thursday for the Minneapolis Farmer's Market. They may also stay the weekend for Lyndale market but I'm not sure. What I am sure of is they've made my short list of fave farmer's market vendors which also include Dehn's Garden (the best herbs you've ever smelled/tasted), Cocoa and Fig (confection perfection...sorry, I couldn't resist) and the hummus ladies (I think the name is Serena). These vendors literally make my day each and every Thursday and help in creating beautiful, perfect dishes like this one below.


No comments :

Post a Comment