Hup Toh Sow/Chinese Walnut Cookies Recipes

I remember eating this cookie when I was young and never thought of baking it myself until I saw it at No-Frills Recipes blog. I baked it the very next day for Carlos and Diana to munch on while I am away in Malaysia. I did very minor changes to the recipe. I can’t seem to get the dough to bind together so I added a tablespoon of vegetable oil to it. I think the cold and dry weather here play a role to the dry dough. Nevertheless the cookies turns out perfect and taste was just the way I remember it. I am in KL now and I am going to bake this again for CNY. Thanks Cheah for sharing this wonderful recipe with us.

Ingredients:

150 gm margarine (I used butter)
250 gm self-raising flour
80 gm caster sugar
2 oz coarsely chopped slightly roasted walnuts (optional)
1 egg beaten + a pinch of salt, for glazing
1 tbsp vegetable oil (optional)

1. Sift the self-raising flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Cut in the margarine; add in the sugar and the chopped walnuts.
3. Mix thoroughly till the dough does not stick onto the hands. * At this stage I add a tablespoon of vegetable of oil to it.
4. Pinch off some dough and lightly form into a ball, make a small dent in the centre. Place the biscuits onto a baking sheet, leaving some room between each biscuit.
5. Brush them with beaten egg wash.
6. Bake in preheated oven 190 degree C or 350 degree F for about 30 to 35 minutes or till golden brown.
7. Cool completely before storing in cookie jar.

No comments :

Post a Comment