A cabin weekend - Dairy Foods

Erik and I spent a relaxing weekend at a cabin in Wisconsin.  It was very rustic, peaceful and lovely.  It was a much needed weekend with just the two of us and it was awesome, every minute.  I documented our trip through photos and I hope you enjoy!
The cabin we stayed at was located on the Black River.  On Saturday morning it was hazy and beautiful.
We made a scramble for breakfast with yellow tomatoes, red peppers, potatoes, bacon, eggs and cheese.  It was delicious.  Aren't those tomatoes gorgeous?  After breakfast we went on a hike. 


In the afternoon we headed to the beach for a picnic.  We found an absolutely perfect spot right on the water with a cute picnic table.
I have to give my honey some credit for putting up with me because we can't do anything normal like just have a picnic.  We have to have a picnic photo shoot (fellow bloggers, I know you understand!).  But...after noting that "people are staring honey" he relaxed and enjoyed the picnic.  We had great food after all.  We strayed from the menu I originally planned though.
Mason jars have so much utility, I used them for storing all the food.
I made tomato bruschetta with a favorite, easy recipe. 

Bruschetta

Ingredients

1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Baguette, bread or crackers

Preparation

Drain the can of tomatoes.  Combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, balsamic vinegar, oilive oil and parmesan cheese in a bowl.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Chill for 30 minutes to an hour. 

Top bread with tomato mixture and serve.
I made really good sandwiches and wrapped them  in parchment paper tied with baking twine. Cute!

The sandwiches were made with herb bread I purchased at the Minneapolis Farmers' Market. They had provolone cheese, yellow tomatoes, avocados, bacon and mustard.


After the picnic we grabbed a couple beers and sat outside of the cabin, overlooking the river.
When the bugs got bad we headed into the porch to play a few games of Yahtzee.  I won two out of three. Yes!
And then there was the sunset, the perfect, unbelievable sunset. 
What a perfect weekend it was...

No comments :

Post a Comment