Ginger shrimp potstickers with spicy peanut dipping sauce - Dairy Foods

Sometimes a birthday is just another day. And sometimes birthdays are really special. That was the case for my mom's birthday last weekend. My immediate family got together as we always do; casually, we cook my mom's favorite meal (mock chow mein, which is sort of like a casserole) and sit around the kitchen table.

This celebration was a little different though...my entire family is in this really happy state-of-mind. We kept toasting to all the things to be thankful for and celebrate; my promotion at work, my sister's recent wedding, my younger brother's raise. It just went on and on. Then my dad stood up and gave a speech...yes, the kind you would hear at a wedding or anniversary party. So the nine of us just sort of looked at each other like "what the hell is he going to say"?

Well, I won't remember word for word, but he basically told my mom she was the best thing that ever happened to him and how much he appreciates her for many reasons but especially because she gave up working outside of the home to raise his children and how we all turned out to be happy, respectful, successful adults and how proud he is of our family.  Ok, he said it much more eloquently than that.  But you get the idea.  And by the end of it my mom was crying, I was crying, even my sister was crying (who is not really a cryer, by the way).

So like I said, it was a special day.  And it made me realize how amazing my family is and how lucky I am.  

My mom loves shrimp and ginger so when I found this recipe for ginger shrimp potstickers it sounded perfect for her birthday celebration.  These are fairly easy to make, it takes a few steps to get there, but the end result is totally worth it.  Don't forget about the dipping sauce, it's the best part.

Ginger Shrimp Potstickers with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce (recipe adapted from Cooking Light)

Ingredients

3/4 cup shredded green cabbage (I used purple)
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup matchstick-cut carrots
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound cooked peeled small shrimp
Dash of hot sauce
24 wonton wrappers
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 cup water, divided

Sauce:

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Preparation

1. To prepare pot stickers, combine first 10 ingredients in a food processor; pulse 4 times or until coarsely chopped. Working with 1 wonton wrapper at a time (cover remaining wrappers with a damp towel to prevent drying), spoon about 1 1/2 teaspoons shrimp mixture into center of each wrapper. Moisten edges of dough with water; bring 2 opposite corners to center, pinching points to seal. Bring remaining 2 corners to center, pinching points to seal. Pinch 4 edges together to seal. Place pot stickers on a large baking sheet sprinkled with cornstarch.

2. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 12 pot stickers to pan; cook 2 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Slowly add 1/2 cup water to pan; cover and cook 4 minutes. Uncover and cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, 12 pot stickers, and 1/2 cup water.

3. To prepare sauce, combine 1/4 cup water and next 5 ingredients (through sugar) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Serve sauce with pot stickers. Garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.

Thank you so much for stopping by Eat Drink Pretty on your busy Friday.  I hope you have an amazing weekend!


No comments :

Post a Comment