Steel-cut oatmeal with milk and berries - Dairy Foods

When it comes to breakfast, I've always been a bacon-eggs-hashbrowns kind of gal. Even when I'm on Weight Watchers I get creative so I can still eat a savory breakfast. But last weekend my sister and I hung out for breakfast and she was "craving oatmeal". I obliged her but secretly was wondering "who the hell craves oatmeal"?! Well, I'm glad she did because I am now converted into a full on oatmeal-lover.

Planning for the breakfast, I poured over the foodie blog world finding tons of awesome recipes.  When I realized that oatmeal doesn't have to be simply oats boiled in water and topped with some milk and sugar, I became pretty excited, actually.  Kat and I settled on a recipe from Food and Wine that included Greek yogurt, steel-cut oats, fresh fruit...and then tweaked it a bit.

Steel-cut oatmeal with milk and berries (recipe adapted from Food and Wine)

Ingredients

2 cups water
2 cups soy milk or skim milk
1 cup steel-cut oats
1 cup fresh berries
1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
4 teaspoons brown sugar

Directions

1.In a medium saucepan, bring the water and soy milk to a boil. Add the oats, cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes, until the oats are tender. Uncover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the oatmeal is creamy, about 3 minutes. Spoon the oatmeal into bowls and top with the berries, yogurt and 1 teaspoon brown sugar.

Makes 4 servings.

I also found this 28-day oatmeal project on Tastespotting which included savory types.  Savory oatmeal?! Awesome.  That's on my list next.  I'm thinking of a bacon, tomato, white cheddar and fried egg kind.  How yummy does that sound? Stay tuned.

So tell me please...what is your favorite oatmeal combo? Have you tried a savory kind?  Please comment and share!

And thanks to my sweet sis for a fun Saturday!

No comments :

Post a Comment