Fried fish tacos with cilantro-lime crema - Dairy Foods


I discovered something dangerous this evening. Frying. You would think that with all the time I spend in the kitchen I would have attempted to fry something at some point. But until today I never really had. And now I know how easy frying is. Like I said...dangerous. I spent about ten minutes during dinner naming off all the foods I wanted to fry next; onions, sweet potatoes, donuts, etc.

I fried a white, flaky fish that Erik caught a couple months ago up north while ice fishing. He was especially proud of himself when we realized how great the fish tasted. I secretly attributed it to the batter and frying technique, he attributed it to his fishing skills.

I combined two recipes to create this dish. I think the fried fish turned out so well because the batter was simple yet perfect (a combo of beer and flour) and the oil was at just the right temperature (thanks to my digital thermometer).

Fried Fish tacos with cilantro-lime crema (adapted from Epicurious and Cooking Light)

Ingredients

Crema

1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced

Tacos

1 quart vegetable oil (4 cups)
12 to 16 corn tortillas
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup beer (not dark) - I used Corona Light
1 pound cod fillet, cut into 3-by-1-inch strips (I used whatever it was that Erik caught ice fishing, any white fish would work)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F.

To prepare the crema, combine the first 8 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

Heat 1 inch oil in a 10-inch heavy pot (2 to 3 inches deep) over moderate heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 360°F.

Meanwhile, separate tortillas and make 2 stacks of 6 to 8. Wrap each stack in foil and heat in oven 12 to 15 minutes.

While tortillas warm, stir together flour and salt in a large bowl, then stir in beer (batter will be thick). Gently stir fish into batter to coat. Lift each piece of fish out of batter, wiping any excess off on side of bowl, and fry fish in batches, turning once or twice, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

I served the tacos with rice, black beans and the following accompaniments: shredded cabbage, radishes, tomatoes and queso fresco.

No comments :

Post a Comment