Adorable pies in jars - Dairy Foods

Are you ready for total pie cuteness overload? I made these pies in jars last Friday on my day off from work after finding some inspiration from the blogosphere. I was thrilled that not only were these super easy, but they are delicious and the freaking cutest thing I've ever seen.

I purchased the mini canning jars from Ace Hardware (12 jars for $9.50) and used a pre-made unbaked pie crust (near the pillsbury biscuits in your grocery store). For the filling I used a strawberry rhubarb filling from Simply Recipes. The filling is very easy and a great way to use rhubarb, which is very much in season right not.

Strawberry Rhubarb filling (adapted from Simply Recipes)

Ingredients

3 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1/2 inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks; make sure to trim away any and discard of the leaves which are poisonous; trim ends.)
1 cup strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca (I used Minute brand tapioca)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of grated orange peel

Method
Mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, salt, and orange rind. Let sit for 10 minutes.

For directions on how to assemble and bake the pies in jars, check out Our Best Bites blog.



I even attempted a mini lattice pattern...didn't turn out that great but still pretty cute!


I made a few of these mini pies in jars and some of the tops sunk in or the filling oozed out. I think you have to be very careful about only spooning the solid filling into the jars and avoid too much liquid. Also, be sure to not put too much filling into the jar or it will overflow while baking.



I had some extra pie crust and strawberry rhubarb filling so I made some pie pops, instructions courtesy of the always amazing Bakerella. These were also super easy and perfect, little bites of pie. Can you stand the cuteness???

Make these pies in jars and pie pops! They were both incredibly easy but has a major wow factor. They would be perfect for any baby/bridal shower.

No comments :

Post a Comment