Cupcakes and a very special engagement - Dairy Foods


Today is all about cupcakes and diamonds, my sister got engaged last weekend so I am dedicating this post to her!

Katie and Drew got engaged on Saturday during a early morning walk. It all sounded very romantic and lovely but at the same time very natural and low-key, just like the two of them. They are a great couple and I am so happy for them and can't wait to get into wedding planning with my fave gal.

Kat loves cupcakes so I know she won't mind me combining her engagement post with a yummy yellow cupcake with vanilla buttercream frosting recipe.

Yellow cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting (adapted from Cupcake Kit and Martha Stewart)

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream

Preparation

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg, egg yolk, and sugar until thickened and lightened to a cream color, about 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during the mixing. On low speed, mix in the oil and vanilla until blended. Mix in the sour cream until no white streaks remain. Mix in the flour mixture until it is incorporated and the batter is smooth. The batter is ready to bake.

For medium-sized cupcakes, bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. (note, 25 minutes was too long for my normal sized cupcakes, I would recommend checking them after 20 minutes).

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (Makes enough for 30 cupcakes but the cupcake mix is only enough for a dozen so I would recommend cutting the recipe in half)

Ingredients

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
6 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions
1.In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add 6 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla; mix until light and fluffy. If necessary, gradually add remaining 2 cups sugar to reach desired consistency.

To get the frosting like the blue cupcake above I added a drop of blue food coloring and microwaved the frosting for about 10 seconds. Then you dip the top into the melted frosting and it gives the cupcake a smooth finish. I topped it off with a small star piping of frosting.



I was experimenting with piping and I love the way a generous swirl of frosting looks.

And of course I couldn't resist posting a picture of Kat's gorgeous engagement ring.

Congratulations Katie and Drew!!!


No comments :

Post a Comment