Savory cupcakes - Dairy Foods

I love to bake (I'm sure you know that by now!) but as I've mentioned before, I am more of a savory/salty vs. sweet kind of gal. I would take baguette with butter over a brownie anyday. So lately I've been trying more savory baking items such as crackers and these savory cupcakes.

If you Google savory cupcakes you're likely to get a something like a vanilla cupcake with a piece of bacon on top. I'm sure those are delicous as well but I wanted something 100% savory, not a blend of sweet/savory.

This is where these little beauties come in. I was brainstorming the other day how I could make a cupcake really savory and decided to use the cheddar herb bread recipe I made not too long ago.

I dropped the dough into mini cupcake liners and topped with a creamy goat cheese mixture I made. And to top it off, a piece of scallion.


Savory cupcakes

Cheddar herb bread (the "cake" part of the cupcake) ingredients, adapted from BHG

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. dried cilantro or parsley
1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter (cold)
1 egg
1/2 cup shredded cheddar

Goat cheese "frosting" ingredients

1 container goat cheese crumbles
1 teaspoon dried parsley
2 tablespoons milk
1 green onion / scallion

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a mini muffin pan with liners.  Mix the first six ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl.

With a pastry blender (or using your hands), cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheddar cheese. In a bowl combine 3/4 cup milk and 1 egg, slightly beaten. Add to crumb mixture all at once. Stir quickly with a fork to moisten. Drop a tablespoon of the dough into the prepared mini muffin pan.

Bake 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes (this is where you will really need to watch the baking time...since these are so tiny they bake fast and you don't want them to dry out).

Make the "frosting"

Let the goat cheese crumbles come to room temperature.  In a bowl, mix the goat cheese, parsley and milk until smooth consistency, add more milk if too thick.  Put the goat cheese in a ziplock bag and snip the corner with a scissors.  Pipe the goat cheese onto the fully cooled cupcake and top with a slice of scallion.

I absolutely loved these.  They are rustic and cheesy with a creamy, salty topping.  Perfect for a savory loving gal.  So what other type of savory cupcake should I try?  Probably something with a blue cheese topping ( I LOVE blue cheese)...hmmm, maybe some type of bread with a bit of buffalo sauce baked in and topped with blue cheese? 

So what do you think?  Are these totally weird or cool?

No comments :

Post a Comment